Search This Blog

32-06-30 Vic Abused and Dispossessed

STARRING: ART VAN HARVEY AND BERNARDINE FLYNN
Sade's mother has come for a visit.  Vic doesn't like the way he's being treated.  He tells Sade of his bad night on on the davenport:
Vic: Of course I've been abused.  During the long silent watch of the night as I lay on that troubled couch, my feverish brow damp with misery and wretchedness, with both hands I clung to the back of that davenport.  If I hadn't, I would have fallen off - off I tell you.  I might have broken my neck.  I hung out my feet, stuck out in the chill night air laden with the dews and damp of pestilence disease.  My arms, being too weighty on my body, were numb with agony.  My head, bruised and upbraided from that cruel room, fogged and whirled in the bitter blackness.  From the other room - that other room, I heard the soft, measured breathing of you and your mother.
SEE THE PARTIAL SCRIPT
___________________
In what is one of the very first episodes, we see, with what little we have, the writing style of Paul Rhymer. The above Vic soliloquy sounds just like Vic.

According to the book, Vic and Sade on the Radio: A Cultural History of Paul Rhymer's Daytime Series, Sade planned on leaving Vic and Vic didn't seem upset at this and certainly did not object.  As she is going out the door, he cuts his hand on a sardine tin and she instinctively runs to him, bringing them together.

That's fairly unimaginative writing, and sappy as well.  There's no telling how bad this show would have been or how lost it would have become without the addition of Bill Idelson, who completely changed the dynamics of the writing.

1 comment:

  1. The show was a world unto itself. Ray Bradbury praised the series in a forward to a book of scripts, and he knew what he was talking about! It was a show that takes a while to adjust to, but when one is immersed in the dialog between characters, it is one hilarious world!

    ReplyDelete