- In the alley behind Graham Street, Howard suddenly bolted – all the way to Seminary Avenue.
- Russell: "…shrill screaming and high-pitched yells of wild-eyed people."
- Russell: "Howard lost a good many true friends by his rash action." Mr. Gumpox cried at having been betrayed by his old friend.
- Smelly Clark thinks Howard did it out of boredom, Heine Call thinks he was startled out of an exciting dream. Oyster Krecker thinks he was just blowing off steam.
- Mis' Razorscum thinks he was probably bit by an insect (also Sade's idea).
- Russell resolves to stand by Howard unless and until "it's proven his action was deliberately malicious."
- Russell (about Howard): "He's innocent as the new-mown hay." - compiled by Barbara Schwarz, edited by Jimbo Mason
___________________Howard is a horse most everyone loves. But at this point in his life, he was a bit of a dangerous creature.
Two months later, he would knock holes in two garbage boxes, perhaps the product of getting loose and creating helter skelter.