STARRING: ART VAN HARVEY, BERNARDINE FLYNN, DAVID WHITEHOUSE AND MERRILL MAEL
- Vic: "It's simple as a horse, Sadie. The towns of Dismal Seepage, Ohio and Sick River Junction, Kentucky have this keen athletic rivalry. They play some game called, "Misery" on January the twenty-sixth, a date commemorating the tragic disappearance of the entire town of Spider Plague, Missouri, which sunk without cause into the muddy waters of the Wretched Indian River during the coldest winter ever experienced in…"
- Uncle Fletcher: "I like the noon-hour – always did. Sade, I expect you remember Art McSwitchel there in Belvidere and his opinion on the noon-hour. This was Art McSwitchel – not Frank."
- Fletcher refers to Vic's friend "Mary" Greetcham, the Mayor of the City. Vic: "His name is not 'Mary.' His name is Robert. Robert S. Greetcham. Mayor Robert S. Greetcham."
- Fletcher wants Vic to ask the mayor for advice on his intention to sue the Little Tiny Petite Pheasant Feather Tea Shoppy. He had ordered three weenie sandwiches, and the waitress neglected to put the condiments on the counter. He was visiting with Ernie Fadler and ate all three weenies and then realized he hadn't added condiments. Vic says Fletcher has no case. Uncle Fletcher wants Vic to get "Mary's" opinion.
- Finally Vic gets to explain to Sade: the members of the lodge's All-Star Marching Team have been asked to go to Dismal Seepage, Ohio for the game of "Misery" because everyone on the Sick River Junction team has died and the marching team is needed to substitute for the deceased. - compiled by Barbara Schwarz, edited by Jimbo Mason
SEE THE SCRIPT
__________________What's amazing is we have a tragedy - where the local holiday in Dismal Seepage is termed, "Misery" - and while Vic and his Marching Team are making plans to go to be a part of the remembrance, Uncle Fletcher (who we know was Merrill Mael in this episode) is oblivious to it all.
Look at the names of the places:
Bill Idelson said this about grim situations and writer Paul Rhymer: (((HEAR)))Dismal Seepage
Sick River Junction
Wretched Indian River
The concept of suing others in this show does not go unnoticed. Blue Tooth Johnson once wanted to sue the Bijou and had done so previously (without luck.) Rush also had a lawsuit all worked up in his head one time. And now, Uncle Fletcher may sue over his three weenie sandwiches, sans condiments.
Uncle Fletcher previously referred to Mayor Greecham as "Mary" in this episode.
This episode was wonderfully recreated by the Radio Enthusiasts of Puget Sound in 1994 and can be heard here: (((HEAR)))
Thanks to them.
SEE THE SCRIPT (very large, be patient when loading)